Sunday, March 6, 2011

Memories

In the spectrum of things, there are actually very few things in life anymore that can really melt your heart and turn you to mush; OR, maybe that's just me.

Last Sunday evening, I went to a friend's house for one of those "candle party" thingies, and a few of my other friends showed up, with kids in tow. I'd spent most of the day stressed about finding a permanent full time teaching gig, and working on cover letters, school board apps, etc. Something happened that night that has given me one of the greatest memories I've ever experienced. It seems like such a small thing too.

Here's the background:
Every Tuesday, I babysit my friend's 16-month old daughter. Usually when she sees me she gives me the stink eye because she associates seeing me with her precious mum leaving her. Needless to say, it takes a while for her to warm up to me, even when her mum is still around.

Sunday evening rolls around, and my friend and her 16-month old daughter come to the candle party thingy. They come in and get settled. Baby is wearing her Tinkerbell pyjamas and has a mini ponytail at the right side of her head. She looks around the room; she looks tepid and shy and unsure of what to make of what is going on. As she's looking around the room her eyes fall on me and I give her a smile.

Here is the moment:
Baby's big, beautiful, blue eyes widen and twinkle and a huge-ass open-mouth smile graces her face as she realizes who I am and RUNS her tiny little feet towards me in excitement and jumps on me with her arms opened.

Yes, I realize that the only reason she was so excited to see me is because the room was full of people she wasn't very familiar with and I was someone she recognized. Do I care? NOPE! I'll take it! I love that little girl and to finally see her so excited to see me is one of the greatest visual memories I've ever had. I almost wish I'd gotten a picture of it so I'd never forget, but I have a feeling that moment is plastered in time in my heart and will never disappear.

Funny how such a small thing can have such a huge effect on someone's soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment