Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The NHL "some" Star Game - 2011

Maybe it's because I was more impressionable and naive as a kid, but to me, the annual NHL All-Star game meant something.

Maybe it's the new set-up that has left a sour taste in my mouth. Who do I cheer for?! At least when the NHL used East vs. West, you knew exactly who you were cheering for. I was "lucky" in that Lidstrom was the only Detroit Red Wing player in the all-star game this year, (a captain, no less), so it was obvious where my loyalty fell. For many fans, players from their favourite teams were playing against each other!

Maybe it was the fact that Eric Staal was chosen as captain of a team over the many other deserving players that could have been chosen. That wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that the all-star game was held in North Carolina?!

MAYBE it was the fact that the all-star lineup lacked so many all-star players!!! A lot of star players are currently injured. I get that, but no Zetterberg? I'm not a big fan of Doughty, but not to be named in the line-up?!?!?! Instead Kessel, Hemsky, Karlsson!! C'mon!

I know they're injured, but an all-star game without Crosby, Datsyuk, Malkin just doesn't seem real. It's like an all-star game from my childhood without Yzerman, Gretzky and Lemieux.

MAYBE it was the lack of intensity and the overall choreographed plays. The defense barely moved and the goalies gave lack luster performances. The game was all offense, which led to such a high scoring game (most NHL All-Star games through the years have been FAIRLY high scoring, but the intensity of the playing was so much higher). I realize that the All-Star game is "for the fans", but it's like the players throw in the towel for a weekend and just do what they think the fans want to see. Point in case - this year's game had the first penalty shot during an all-star game ever (I think). Ovi's stick throw was obvious (ugghhh).

The skills competition was much more tolerable than the actual game. It was fairly entertaining. The NHL should leave the skills competition "for the fans". LET the goalies make weak attempts at saving on breakaway challenges! LET the choreography and conspiracies ensue for accuracy shooting competitions! LET Suban rile up the crowd by wearing a Carolina Hurricane's jersey! BUT for goodness sakes, LET'S see a real game on Sunday! As a fan I can tell you, I WANT to see the best of the best, pitted against each other in a battle for hockey supremacy!

No comments:

Post a Comment