Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Hello... My name is Sarah and I am an internet geek.

If you know me well enough, you know that I spend a ridiculous amount of time online. It started in University when surfing the web and chatting with strangers seemed like a far better alternative to studying and/or writing papers. Owning a laptop has made being online even more accessible and in turn has taken up even MORE of my time it seems these days. Sure some people may think I'm an internet geek (which I don't technically disagree with), but I've come to the realization that it's not really that bad a thing.

I am now 30 years old (ugh) and living at home as I struggle to find a teaching job in South Western Ontario (which is harder than you think - believe it or not). The few friends that still live in the area are all married and have families and/or are busy with full time careers. I'm not pouting about being left behind, because that's not the issue. The issue is that I have a LOT of free time on my hands. When I'm not working, I turn to the internet for my main source of entertainment and interaction.

I agree with my friend in that it's probably better to be immersed in online activities than sitting in front of a TV like a lump and letting it overtake me. At least, when I'm online I can find things to do that are thought provoking. The internet is much more interactive. I'm not saying you can't learn anything from television, but the world wide web allows you to have a wealth of knowledge at your fingertips.

Along with finding interesting things to immerse myself in online, I also spend a lot of time "chatting". I have met some amazing people that I wouldn't have otherwise had the opportunity to have met without the internet. One of my favourite things in the world is stumbling across someone who has different thoughts, philosophies and outlooks on things. People are FASCINATING!

If you don't spend much time online, you probably don't know much about online communities. I know it sounds weird and freaky, but hear me out. I visit two places online regularly that could be categorized as "online communities". There are a group of "regulars" who interact daily, weekly, etc. I'm a "n00b" compared to some of the tenured regulars, but somehow I just fit in. Everyone knows everyone there. I got to know people and over time, some of these people who started off as random people to talk to behind a screen have turned into incredible friends. They became a support system and someone to turn to when I'm not quite sure where else to turn. PLUS they are easily accessible... sometimes more so than friends who live down the street.

Sometimes I get down on myself because it feels like I have more friends online than in "real life". Then I remember that my friends online are just as real. They have feelings and troubles and I try to be there for them as they are for me. Who wouldn't want friends all around the world?! I have friends in California, Massachusetts, Texas, New York, Louisiana, Indiana Oregon, Pennsylvania,Germany, Ireland and Iran! Some of these friends I text, send Christmas cards to and some I've even been lucky enough to meet in person. I don't regret a single one. They've all come into my life and offered me more than just friendship. They've all taught me different lessons and offered me insight into this thing we call life.

I will NEVER regret being an internet geek! ☺

1 comment: